Thursday, October 9, 2014

Fearless

FEARLESS

Is it a dream? 

Can it be achieved? 

What about ISIS? Ebola? Big government?


In my devotion this morning the subject came up of courage not being the same as fearlessness. 

Courage:
  • Can be worked up
  • As John Wayne stated: "it is getting in the saddle, even when you are scared". 
  • Courage can be lived out while being scared to death. 
Fearlessness
  • Free from man's approval
  • Free from death or peril
  • A life full of peace
1 John 4:18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.
  • Living free of fear of man and his approval
  • Living free of fear of peril or death because HIs love for us abounds. 

Yet there is this scripture:

Ecclesiastes 12:13, That’s the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty.

We seem to have preached freedom from fear with the words, respect and revere. Yes, the Hebrew word can be translated like this, however, our country needs a good dose of 'fear' of God. Fear Him enough that we keep His commandments. We seem to be overrun with the attitude that we can do as we please and still have His blessings on our life. People go and party when facing surgery and then ask for Him to be with them during the surgery and bring peace and healing. Really? 

People have been astonished when I speak of my fear. They think there is an absence of any fear in my life. The Holy Spirit has given the ability to muster courage but fear is still present at times. 

When Matthew 25:41-46 became non-negotiable, became a command, Holy Spirit courage was found to get outside the comfort zone. In the beginning fear of bars, bikers, prisons, homeless people, etc made me want to hit the 'return to four walls button'. There were all kinds of justifications, 1) People inside need a pastor; 2) the demands of administration were heavy; 3) we must help people walk in sanctification; 4) what if death is lurking around the corner and there is so much yet to be done; but at the end of the day, it the driving force was fear of life 'out there'.

Then there came a second round of fear: the fear of the church. Oh the paralysis that is standing at the door when the message is counter 'church'. This fear is probably the worse of all. the fear of those you love, those you respect, those you admire, those you wanted to 'be like'. The fear of family, what will they think? The fear of people misunderstanding your motive (He is trying to make a name for himself). 

Is fear still present: ABSOLUTELY! 

Does the Holy Spirit still have to inspire courage - A RESOUNDING YES! 

Love has not been perfected yet in my life but I am trying to achieve it. 

Is it possible that a little of the fear of man still remain to keep me in check? Could it be that it keeps me humble? Could it be the reminder of my reliance upon Him? 

Whatever the situation, paralyzing fear must face Holy Spirit courage in my life and my Fear of God must keep me willing and obedient! 




2 comments:

  1. Thank you Shepherd for sharing to this depth! Some of these are the things that I struggle with and others in this category. I find myself longer in the WORD each day searching for the answers to the questions like "why do I feel this way" or "how do I react to some of the things I see and hear in such a hard and unforgiving world and when so many from such vastly different upbringings, all loved by their Creator, and treating eachother with so much hatred? I know I can be so unlovable yet my Creator loves me regardless so I know He grieves those who don't love Him. I've got to continue to try my best to show His love anyway. I want to be effective and relative.....
    GranFe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GranFe for your feed back - may God continue to move us all closer to Him! Love you brother.

      Delete